Okay, friends. The love for Trader Joe’s runs deep. I literally go out of my way to go grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s because I feel like a kid in a candy store. Especially around this time of year when they come out with all of their pumpkin spice items. Don’t know what I’m talking about?? STOP. Drop what you’re doing. Grab your reusable bag and get your booty to Trader Joe’s! I swear they come out with 10 new pumpkin items every year. It will literally make all of your basic girl Fall dreams come true.
Speaking of Fall…one of my absolute FAVORITE things about Fall are those sunny days where it’s chilly outside but you bundle up in sweaters and a scarf and stroll beside the trees with color-changing leaves. Doing so with my love makes it all the more better.
Michael and I spent this weekend being lazy but took the time to drive to a nearby park where there are miles of walking paths. We discussed our plans and hopes for the holidays, including gift ideas for our families, and dreamed out loud about owning our future home. We only started saving for a house 1 year ago but I am already so antsy to be in our future home! Anyone else get an idea in their head and can’t let it go until it happens? It’s a blessing and a curse.
Another Fall FAVORITE is all of the yummy comfort food and crock-pot meals. It doesn’t get much simpler than throwing a bunch of ingredients and a hefty dash of spices in a crock-pot, put it on low and then come home from a long day at work to dinner already made. Yassssss.
When it comes to picking out spices, I am all about the selection at Trader Joe’s.
First of all, they’re cheap! Most of them are only $1.99.
Second of all, the selection is great. They have spices to make up the basics of many favorite dishes, like Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.
Third of all, they taste great! No stale or flavor-less spices over here.
You may notice my favorite spices does not include the infamous Everything Bagel Seasoning that online foodies appear to dash on everything from their bagels, to their avocado toast, to straight up into their mouth. I hear that it is THAT good but unfortunately it has onion and garlic powder, both of which sends my IBS into a frenzy, i.e. gas, bloating, abdominal cramping. Yeah. But if I didn’t have to be cautious about garlic and onion, you betcha both of those would have made this list because they go with, well, everything!
Here’s a list of how I like to incorporate these spices into our weekly dishes:
1. Smoked Paprika – add to roasted chicken or fish, or to pump up the flavor of sweet potato fries. Great in chili when mixed with oregano, cumin and cayenne!
2. Turmeric – we are all about that curry! I also like to add it to my smokey butternut squash pasta.
3. Basil – on top of avocado toast (trust me) or added to our favorite Italian dishes, like good ‘ol spaghetti.
4. Red Chili Pepper – on top of avocado toast (again, trust me!), on pizza, anything that you want to add some heat!
5. Ground Cinnamon – this is the spice we go through the most! We have this in our oatmeal every day. I’ll even add a dash or two to our smoothies, pancake or waffle batter, or on apple or banana slices.
6. Oregano – this is a great addition to ground turkey or beef, taco seasoning or some good ‘ol spaghetti.
7. Pumpkin Pie Spice – we don’t use this year ’round, but currently it’s being added to pumpkin overnight oats, pumpkin spice muesli, pumpkin waffles, and pumpkin smoothies. Can I get a, “Hell yeah!” for pumpkin!
8. Ground Ginger – we add this to curry, smoothies, and my favorite Asian glazed salmon.
9. Red Pepper (Cayenne) – this adds just the right amount of heat to curry, chili and buffalo sauce.
There you have it! My quick and simple list of all my favorite Trader Joe’s spices. You just can’t beat the selection for the price! Do you have any favorite spices or items from Trader Joe’s? I’m always looking for something new to try. 🙂