For years my breakfast go-to was a bowl of oatmeal, topped with cinnamon, ground flax seed, a spoonful of peanut butter and frozen blueberries. I still love this option but I’ve been experimenting with new recipes for breakfast and I gotta say, I’m not really missing my go-to bowl of oatmeal! Plus, variety is the spice of life, and this Muesli Yogurt Bowl can be adjusted to fit all of your flavor preferences! This recipe is also quick and easy. It can be made the night before so all you have to do is grab and go in the morning… *fist pump.*
Before we dig in, are you like me and wondering what the heck is muesli? Muesli is a blend of raw grains, nuts, seeds, fruits/dried fruits all mixed together to create a delicious and nutritious blend of ingredients that you can add to a bowl of yogurt, mixed in milk like cereal or soaked overnight and enjoyed by the spoonful. My favorite way to enjoy is soaked overnight and added on top of Greek yogurt. So freaking GOOD!! Plus, the blend of whole grains, nuts, seeds and fruit is high in fiber, protein, healthy fats, magnesium, and other minerals and vitamins. With a long list of good for you nutrients like that, you can’t go wrong.
Some of my favorite ways to change up the ingredients and flavor:
– Add sliced strawberries, raspberries and/or blueberries in addition or in place of banana
– Use dried chunks of apricot and pineapple in place of banana
– Swap out almonds for walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, etc.
– Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon ground flax seed or hemp seeds in place of pumpkin seeds
-Add pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (my favorite during the fall!)
-Eliminate almond milk and instead add to green smoothie to make smoothie bowl with lots of crunch and texture
Now let’s dive into how to make it…
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of slivered almonds (can chop up whole almonds, too)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- a few dashes of cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (can use any milk you prefer)
- ½ sliced banana
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Mix all of your ingredients together, except for the banana and Greek yogurt.
- Place in fridge overnight or for 2-3 hours until milk is soaked up.
- Place yogurt in bowl, top with Muesli mix and sliced banana. Done. Boom!
Let me know in the comments what ingredients you like adding to your Muesli bowl!