It’s the most wonderful (and the most delicious) time of the year! Anyone else spend most of their time on Christmas day standing in the kitchen eating all of the snacks and treats? Every year my Aunt and Uncle make peppermint bark and toffee, and my grammy makes fudge. I may be biased but their recipes are the bessssst! Last year my mom made cardamom bread and O.M.G. I literally ate 2 loaves to myself. My smartest decision? No. But, what can I say? It was just that good.
I remember spending the holidays with my dad’s side of the family and always having those little smoky sausages on a toothpick. I could not be trusted around those delicious things! Clearly, I’m a big fan of holiday food. The day of a holiday I don’t restrict myself from all of the wonderful goodies. Friends and family put time and love into making these treats. Plus, they taste BOMB and they come around only one time a year. Darn straight I’m gonna enjoy all of my favorites! But, I recommend putting your treats on a plate and sitting down to enjoy all of the goodness before you find yourself at the end of a loaf of cardamom bread. We gotta save room for dinner!
One appetizer I’ve always been a big fan of is crackers dipped in sweet relish over cream cheese. The saltiness of the crackers, the sweet but subtly spiciness from the relish, and cream cheese. ‘Nuff said. I could eat cream cheese by the spoonful. I was thinking of these flavor combinations when trying to brainstorm a fun and festive appetizer idea. That’s when, Boom! Cranberry Pomegranate Bruschetta came to mind.
The weekend I made this bruschetta, I also used the cranberry pomegranate relish to flavor chicken thighs. It made for the most beautiful and delicious holiday meal. There’s so much you can do with this relish besides add it to bruschetta or to flavor chicken. You could dip chips or crackers in it, add it to a grilled cheese sandwich (drool), or top it over salad greens. Trust me when I say you need this appetizer at your holiday table this year!
Just look at that gorgeous color!
What are your favorite holiday treats and appetizers? Comment them below!
Cranberry Pomegranate Bruschetta
- 1 sourdough baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- ½ cup cream cheese
- Cranberry Pomegranate Relish
- 2 cups cranberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ jalapeno
- 3 basil leaves, cut in half and chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This is optional. You can leave the bread fresh and not toasted. I like it both ways.
- Slice the baguette into ¼ inch thick rounds. If toasting, place rounds on a baking sheet and brush olive oil onto the top of each round. Bake for 5-6 minutes on each side. Be careful not to burn the bread or it will be difficult to bite into.
- In a food processor, pulse the cranberries, jalapeño, and sugar until diced fine, about 15-20 pulses.
- Add basil and pomegranate to a medium sized bowl and mix in the cranberry mixture. Use a spoon or spatula to evenly distribute all of the ingredients.
- Once the bread has mostly cooled, spread a layer of cream cheese on each round and top with 1-2 teaspoons of the cranberry relish.
It’s as simple and delicious as that!