It’s not officially Fall but we’re definitely sporting some Fall weather up here in Washington, so I am ready for all things PUMPKIN SPICE! What gives you the Fall feels?? For me, I love the smell of cinnamon and cloves, wearing oversized sweaters, stepping on crunchy leaves while taking brisk walks, and the taste of pumpkin everything! For others, they may immediately picture a Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL), specifically Starbucks PSL. Believe it or not, I’ve only tasted a PSL and I didn’t really care for it. It was a little too sweet for my taste. Let’s be real – I drink my coffee black, but that doesn’t mean a warm cup of pumpkin spice doesn’t sound like Fall perfection!
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
So, I googled the ingredients in a PSL from Starbucks. Turns out the ingredients aren’t too bad. But, that super sweet taste I experienced? Yeah, no kidding! There’s 50 grams of sugar in a Grande. I’d rather save the sugar for a bowl of ice cream, but that’s just me. Here’s what else is in it:
- Pumpkin sauce (sugar, milk, pumpkin, natural flavors)
- Whipped cream – contains vanilla syrup (more sugar)
- Pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger)
All in all not too shabby, just heavy on the sugar. Now, is it going to kill you to drink a PSL? Not one bit, so enjoy that PSL if you look forward to drinking it all year. BUT, if you are interested in a lower sugar option that is also dairy-free and quick and easy to whip up in your own kitchen? I gotchu.
My Pumpkin Spice Latte
The first time I tasted my recipe for this Pumpkin Spice Latte, I was smitten. Probably the way others feel about Starbucks PSL. Like I mentioned earlier, I drink my coffee black, so it doesn’t take much for me to enjoy some added flavor. I experimented with the recipe a couple ways. Here’s the basis of the recipe:
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Full-fat canned coconut milk
- Pumpkin pie spice
So good! Creamy with a touch of spice. Then I got to thinking, how could I make this more like a PSL but without all of the sugar? Add a hint of sweetness:
- Stevia liquid drops
Okay, now we’re talking! You could leave as is, especially if you plan to drink this on a daily basis. But, if you want to take it to the next level, top it with a little flair:
- Coconut whipped cream
The coconut whipped cream and nutmeg may be non-negotiable – it will literally knock your thick wool socks right off your feet! I could eat a bowl of just whipped cream with a dash of nutmeg. Holy moly, I did not know what I have been missing out on all this time. But, my eyes have been opened and I am eternally grateful.
Pumpkin Spice Latte | Dairy-Free & Low Sugar
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin)
- 2 tablespoons canned full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 drops liquid Stevia (optional)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
- Dollop of coconut milk whipped cream (optional - but is it really?)
- Dash of Nutmeg (optional but not really)
- In a blender, add brewed coffee, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and pumpkin pie spice. If using liquid Stevia and collagen peptides, add these in now as well.
- Add lid to blender but leave it slightly ajar to allow steam to escape.
- Blend for 10-20 seconds.
- Pour coffee into favorite mug and top with whipped cream with a small dash of nutmeg.
- Kick back in your cozy leggings and oversized sweater, sip, relax, and enjoy!
Want More Fall Recipes?
Pin it for later!
Items Used In This Post
There may be affiliate links in this post. At no additional cost to you, I may receive a small compensation if you click the link or make a purchase. All products linked on this page are products I use personally and trust! Do not feel obligated to purchase any of these products unless they are products that you are interested in. Thank you for supporting Moore Nourished!